St. Niklaus, Canton Valais Switzerland
St. Niklaus, in the deepest Swiss valley, is surrounded by the Valaisan Alps. The parish dates from the 13th century. An avalanche in 1720 partly destroyed the original tower, which was then rebuilt. It now houses six bells (1767, 1876, 1926, 1948), which were electrified in 1958.
The present church was dedicated in 1965, replacing the old church that needed renovation and was also too small. The medieval (ca. 1650) tower was kept.
The huge figure of St Nikolaus, first built in 1998, is in place from St Nikolaus Day (6 December) until Three Kings Day (6 January). This set a world record (36.50 meters high)as noted in the Guinness Book.