Sanctus Nicolaus de Calcarariis—Largo di Torre Argentina

Rome, Lazio Italy

[Roman Catholic]

The Temple to Jutuma (temple A) (241 BC), one of four Roman temples on the square Largo di Torre Argentina, was rebuilt as a church, San Nicola de Calcarariis, in the 8th or 9th century. The name Calcarario comes from the Latin word, calcare, meaning lime, for the lime kilns that were n the area burning antique marble into lime. Since the 16thk century the church was known as S. Nicolaus de'Cesarini. The church was demolished between 1926 and 1929 so excavations could be carried out on the Roman monuments. Two apses, several frescos,, floor, brick pillars, the crypt and a 12th century altar remain from the ancient church. It is now believed that the church stood on the place where Julius Caesar was murdered in 44 BC.