Built in the mid-13th century, the church has long been an architectural landmark in Torgau. At the time of the Protestant Reformation the first German baptism in the German language took place here. However, by 1529 the church was put to other use, including as a department store and court. Secular use caused considerable structural change. The historic building is gradually being reconstructed and the bells were restored to use in 1995.