Katholikon of St. Nicholas—Monastery of Stavronikita

Mount Athos Greece

Greek Orthodox

The Katholikon, or main church, was built between 1527-1536, and is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The monastery is the last of be built on Mount Athos and is ranked 15th. Fire destroyed the monastery in 1067, 1817, 1864, and 1879. The glassed-in mosaic icon of St. Nicholas was fished out of the sea from Byzantium. The gash was caused either by pirates who tossed it into the sea, or else by an oyster that a local fisherman found clamped to its forehead when he dragged it up in his net.

More information and pictures