Bulgarian OrthodoxThe monastery was established in the late 1500s, during a time of relative tolerance for Christians in the Ottoman Empire. Abandoned in the 1950s when the Buhovo mines were opened, access to the monastery was banned. The church, largest in the area, is the only remaining building. It has three layers of frescos, the best-preserved from 1616. The church is undergoing restoration.