Murmansk, Murmansk Oblast Russia
Russian OrthodoxFor a long time Murmansk had no churches; the first one was closed in 1924. After World War II a small wooden house on the outskirts was converted into a church dedicated to Saint Nicholas. For the millennium of Christianity in Russia, permission was granted to renew the Svyato-Nikolskaya Church. A new stone church, built around the existing one, was consecrated in 1986. A new Church of St. Trifon Pechengsky was built nearby in 1989; together they form the Svyato-Nikolskiy Cathedral.