Roman CatholicThe St. Nicholas Church was first built of wood in 1381 as part of the Dominican Monastery. It burned in 1420 and a new stone church was constructed. It is the oldest part of the present monastery. From 1672-99 it was converted into a mosque during the time of Turkish rule. All Muslim traces were removed and the church renovated and enlarged. With the advent of the Russian Empire in 1793 Empress Catherine II’s decree led to the decline of the Catholic chuches. Renovated in the 1970s, the church suffered a fire in 1974 that destroyed the roof and bell tower. In 1998 the monastery comples became an active monastery of Paulist Fathers. Renovation is ongoing.