Krykptkirken Skt Nikolaj—Vor Frue Kirke

Aarhus Denmark

[Roman Catholic] Lutheran

The crypt church below the choir may be the oldest surviving stone church in Scandanavia. It was built around 1060, replacing an older wooden church that was burned in an attack on Aarhus. During work on the main church of Our Lady, the crypt church was discovered, excavated and restored around 1955. Opened in 1957, regular services are held.

The church of Our Lady, in the south wing of the former Dominican monastery, was built around 1227, replacing the St. Nicholas church that had also served as a cathedral until a new one was established during the 1200s.