Agios Nikolaos of Spata Greece
Greek OrthodoxThe monastery was built after shepherds found a miraculous icon of Saint Nicholas in the forest (possibly hidden there during the time of Iconoclasm). A small chapel was built in the early 19th century, replaced by a larger church in 1875. The monastery is a place of pilgrimage and many miracles are reported to have taken place there. An orphanage and old age home are also part of the monastery complex. For a week before and after the Feast of the Translation of the Relics, May 10, many people follow the Holy Road of Saint Nicholas to the monastery.