The church's history goes back to the 14th century and much of the building dates from 1490. Dedicated to John the Baptist and St. Nicholas, it became an independent parish in 1784. Next to the Danube, the church has flooded a number of times—water even reaching 1 meter above the pews. The damage has always been repaired. In 1993 a large, heavy crucifix was discovered in the flood and brought to the church. The cross was repainted and the artist was healed. It is known as Danube or miraculous cross and was installed on the high altar in 1701. The church was renovated in 1973.