The church dates from at least the first half of the 14th century. The Augustinaian monastery was moved from outside the city to St. Nicholas, which was enlarged, in 1404. The town became a Hussite town in 1421 and the monastery demolished. The church burned in fires in 1446 and 1548; it was rebuilt and damaged repeatedly over the years. Restoration was carried out in 1972-74 and 2001-10.