Chapel of Saint Nicholas—New Valaam (Valamo) Monastery

Heinävesi
Valamon luostari
Finland

Finnish Orthodox Church

Church Website

As the monastery is located near the pier, the chapel, built in 1987, is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the guardian of seafarers and all people. The monastery was established in 1940 when around 190 monks were evacuated from Valaam Monastery in Lake Laatokkam when Soviet forces took it over. It is the only Finnish Orthodox monastery for men.