Collegiate Church of Saint Nicholas—Monastery of Vranjina

Vranjina, Skadar Lake Montenegro

[Orthodox]

The monastery, on an island in Lake Skadar, was founded in 1233 and consecrated by St. Sava. On a strategic location, the monastery suffered from Turkish attacks, causing collapse in 1557 and 1714. After capture in 1843 it was turned into a barraks and finally destroyed in 1862. Three bells and an image of Saint Nicholas have been found. A new church was built on the site in 1886 with a convent for women. After World War II Vranjina was burned and abandoned. Restoration of the church began in 1998 and an abbot appointed. The iconostas is Russian. All the other monastery buildings are in ruins.