Sv. Mikalojaus Baznycia—Church of St. Nicholas

Vilnius Lithuania

Roman Catholic

Church Website

The oldest susrviving church in Lithuania, the brick Gothic church was built in 1320 by German merchants before Christianity came to Lithuania. The Baroque bell tower was added in the 1600s and other Baroque features were added. From 1901–1939, the time of the Polish occupation, it was the only church in the city where Lithuanians were allowed to attend Mass; it also served as a Lithuanian cultural center. During the Soviet occupation a sculpture of St. Christopher, patron saint of Vilnius was placed next to the church. This was an act of resistance as the Soviets had banned the city's coat of arms showing St. Christopher.