A small St. Nicholas Chapel was built onto the cathedral in 1058 to hold the St. Nicholas Manna given by Empress Theophanu in 980. A larger chapel was built around 1300. The relics were lost during the Nine Years' War (1688-97). The Bishop of Bari gave a new bottle of Manna to the basilica in 1986. A new reliquary was dedicated in 1990. The former cathedral is now a parish church, designated as a basilica in 1925.