Chereshnitsa / Polykerason Greece
Greek Orthodox [Bulgarian]
The church was built in 1844, the iconostas and icons are from a 18th century church. The church is at the southern end of the village. At the end of the 1800s the pro-Bulgarian revolutionary priest took over the church. In 1898 the church and the entire village came under the Bulgarian Exarchate. The village is now tiny, having been nearly abandoned following World War II and the Greek Civil War, when many Bulgarians emigrated to Australia, the United States and Canada. In 1926 the village name was changed from Chereshnitsa to Polykerason, a Greek translation of the Bulgarian name.