The church was built from 1856-1859. It was an unusually large church to be built in that time. The Turkish Ottoman rulers only allowed churches to be no higher than a rider on a horse. This one was impressive for a small village and must have had special permission. The church has been ransacked, with everything of value destroyed and stolen—wood for burning, metal for resale, and more, as the villagers are poor. Nine of the icons were rescued and restored; they are held for safekeeping elsewhere.