Portuguese missionaries brought Christianity to Thailand as early as the 16th century. The Catholic Mission at Phitsanulok was started in 1671 with 20 Chinese Catholics. A chapel, presbyteryk and hospital were build, but burned in the Burmese War. The church was rebuilt in 1920. The church was closed at the begining of the Indo-China war in 1930. Mission activites began again in 1941 when the present church and a school were built. A new St. Nicholas School was built in 2004. English Mass for foreign Catholics also began in 2004. Started on a bi-monthly basis, the English Mass is now weekly.