Saint Nicholas Memorial Chapel

Kenai, Alaska USA

Orthodox Church in America (Russian)

The chapel was built in 1906 to honor Father Igumen Nicolai and Makary Ivanov. Fr. Nicolai, the first priest in Kenai, brought small pox vaccine, saving the lives of hundreds of Dena’ina. The chapel is on the site of the original 1849 church, built in the northwest corner of the Russian fur trading post, Fort St. Nicholas. Its name honors both Fr. Nicolai and St. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra.