The church, one of the oldest in Bucharest, was built in 1735. In the 18th and 19th centuries the church had a nursing home, Romanian school, calligraphy school and later a charitable institute. In 2005 work began to recover the whole property that had been confiscated by the state after 1945. Work to resume parish work began under the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs Directorate of Historical Monuments. Painting the murals began in September 2005. An archeological site has also been opened that has discovered old tombs and coins, seals, rings, engraved bricks and scraps of vestments.