Kapelica Sv. Nikolaja

Ljubljana Slovenia

Roman Catholic

The chapel is in Plecnikove Zale, the central cemetery in Ljubljana. The Roman Catholic cemetery was planned to be landscaped walking garden. Plans were complete in 1936, facilities in 1938, and buildings completed in 1944. Each parish had a chapel named for the parish patron saint; St. Nicholas is one. The government expropriated the land in 1946 and this part of the cemetery was closed. Restoration of the buildings began in 1987 and the park reopened in 1992. Early in the 21st centukry it was declared a Slovenian cultural monument.