Chiesa di San Nicola di Bari

Ariccia, Lazio Italy

[Roman Catholic]

The church was first mentioned in 1145 and it was rebuilt in 1665, the old church given to the confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament. In 1852 an ancient altar made of a solid block of marble was found under the floor; it was dated from the 4th or 5th century and considered to have been the main altar of the ancient collegiate church of Santa Maria Assunta, demolished in the 1660s. The church now serves as a theatre and the former College of St. Nicholas is the town hall.