The church was built in the 1200s as a small family church by Kaloyan the sebastocrator (a high Byzantine government title). The church is thought to stand on the site of a palace complex from the Roman Empire that hosted Constantine and it is believed that the original church was built by Constantine himself at the beginning of the 4th century. These walls are still visible in the crypt. The church is in the center of the city, the so-called "Konstantinov Quarter." The church was completely destroyed in 1944 bombing. It was rebuilt in the 1950s. The miraculous icon of St. Nikolay Mirlikiyski was miraculously unscathed after the 1944 bombing that destroyed the church. The chapel is a pilgrimage site for hundreds each year.