Pfarrkirche St. Nikolaus

Innsbruck (St. Nikolaus), Tirol Austria

Roman Catholic

In the St. Nikolaus district of Innsbruck, there used to be a leprosy hospital in the St. Nikolaus-Gasse (narrow street) from 1313 until 1789. The brotherhood who cared for the patients had a patron saint, holy Nicholas. Around 1500 a church was built next to the hospital; people confused the brothers' saint with St. Nicholas of Myra and called the church 'St. Nikolaus.' In 1655 the church was re-consecrated to Nicholas of Myra. Later the whole district was aldo named for Saint Nicholas. The present neo-Gothic church was built in the early 1880s.