The brick church was built in 1721, replacing a wooden one destroyed by fire in 1718. Three merchants paid for the church, hence its name "Negustori" or "Merchants." Following earthquake damage in 1802 and 1838 it was repaired in 1839. From 1867-70 extensive repairs were done, building the two towers and replacing shingles with tin plate. Earthquakes again caused damage in 1940, 1977, 1986 and 1990. The structure was reinforced in 2002 and the exterior painted in 2009.