The church of Ss. Martin & Nicholas was built from 1425-1466. It is the oldest and most important architectural monument in Bydgoszcz. In building the church, the north wall of the earlier church was saved, making the chancel wider than the nave. The St. Nicholas altar was built before 1744 and in use until the early 1800s. The church contains the shrine of Our Lady of Beautiful Love and several important images of Our Lady. It has been the cathedral of the Bydgoszcz diocese since 2004.