Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of CanadaUkrainian immigrants arrived in 1897 and built their first church, St. Nicholas Greek Independent Church of Portage la Prairie, by 1908. The name was shortened to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in 1927 (Greek is often kept because Ukrainians accepted Christianity from the Greeks.) In 1965 the church affiliated with the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada and dropped “Greek” from the name. It is now St. Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Relocated to a renovated school in 1968, domes were added in 1984 and metal domes with crosses in 1993. A new iconostasis was installed in 2000. The church follows the Julian calendar.