Old Saint Nicholas Chapel

St. Nicholas (Cold Spring), Minnesota USA

Roman Catholic

The chapel was built in 1935 to honor the memory of the first parishioners who built the original St. Nicholas Church on this site. A new, larger church was built 3 miles south south in 1891.

"The St. Nicholas Church was erected here in 1866. It was followed by a district school in 1867 and the Mathias Schmit residence in 1868. John P. Schmit erected a post office in 1878 and served as postmaster. The community contained Michael Gross' blacksmith shop between 1878-1888 and the Michael Ellenbecker-Peter Decker saloon from 1881-1889. The community was abandoned during the 1890's with the establishment of another St. Nicholas church South of here."