St Nicolas Anglican Church

Shorncliffe / Sandgate, Queensland Australia

[Anglican Church of Australia]

The timber church was built in 1880. In 1887 the church was enlarged, lifted, and turned a quarter-turn, making the chancel on the south instead of the original east. Gas lights were installed in 1890, it was re-roofed in 1912, and electricity installed in 1925. In celebration of the 1930 jubilee, the lower part was bricked in to form a hall. It is one of very few surviving timber Anglican churches from that period. The building was listed on the Register of the National Estate. After the church was closed in 1988 it was purchased by the education department and incorporated into Shorncliffe State School on the corner of Signal Row and Yundah Street. The church was later demolished due to termite damage. The stained glass windows are now in St Margaret’s Anglican Church, Sandgate.