Church of St. Nicholas

Belz Ukraine

Greek Catholic (Byzantine)

The St. Nicholas church was part of the Roman Catholic Dominican convent, founded in 1647; the church built after 1653. Original wood church was replaced by Baroque brick in 1743. The convent closed in 1784 and the church became Greek Catholic. The building was rebuilt in 1861 and was a Roman Catholic church from 1945 - 1951. After resettlement of Polish residents, it was desecrated and used as a warehouse. Since 1991 it has been back in use as a church. The iconostasis was made in Munich in 1893, modeled on the one in the Cathedral of Przemysl.