The church was built in 1808, the oldest church in Alchevsk. It was enlarged with two transepts and side altars in 1899. The church was closed and looted by the Bolsheviks. In the 1930s it was used as a dairy and then as a hospital during the Second World War. Under the German occupation it was again used for church services. During the Soviet time it was strictly monitored and under restrictions. Bells were reinstalled and a new bell-tower and cupola added in 1992. The church is a listed monument.