Rheinau, Canton Zürich Switzerland
The church is on an island in the Rhine, once part of the Benedictine Monastery Rheinau. It was built in 1296 in the "upper town". The monks fled at the Reformation, but later returned and were strongly Counter-Reformation. The church collapsed in 1573 and was rebuilt in 1578 with three apses. Though half the population had become Protestant, the abbot steadfastly held the church. Following much disagreement, St. Nikolaus became a parity church used by both Catholics and Protestants in 1609. Badly damaged by lightning in 2004, it was reopened in 2006.