Chartres, Centre-Val de Loire France
The fountain is found under La Collégiale Saint-André. Saint André had been a collegiate church under a chapter of twelve canons, when it came to be used by the Saint-Nicolas parish when it became inadequate to parish needs. This fountain was the main source of potable water for the city during the Middle Ages. It was in use until 1756. It again provided water for three months following bombing in 1944. The fountain was originally beneath the Saint Nicholas Church.