Amherstburg, Ontario Canada
[Ukrainian Catholic (Byzantine)]The church was organized in the early 1950s and services were held in St John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church. Twenty-one members made the financial commitment to purchase “Bellevue”—the Georgian mansion built by Robert Reynolds in 1816—for a permanent home. It was formally dedicated as a church in 1962 and became known as Ukrainian Village, preserving Ukrainian traditions as well as providing worship. Designated as a historic site in 1959, it was listed in 2009 as one of the top ten endangered historic sites in Canada. It has servewd as a private residence, a veterans hospital, as well as the St Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church. Purchased in 2001 by an Ontario corporation with plans to develop condominiums and a bed and breakfast, it is now suffering neglect with no heat and vandalism to the property.