Protestantse Kerk in Nederland (Reformed)
As Elburg was a fishing town, the church was dedicated to St Nicholas. Building began in 1397 and was completed 100 years later. The church was not sound and a complete renovation was needed fifty years later to preserve the building. Lightning struck in 1693, destroying the original spire, which was never rebuilt. Much of the church's original splendor was destroyed in 1566 as a result of the Reformation. During French rule in the late 18th century more looting occurred. The beautiful murals were covered with thick plaster in 1797.