St. Nicholas Chapel—Priory Church of the Holy Trinity

York (Micklegate), Yorkshire England UK

Church of England (Anglican)

Church Website

At the time of the Normal Conquest in 1066 the church was described as "a ruined and poverty stricken" church. French Benedictine monks established the priory in 1098. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 it became a parish church. The tower collapsed in a great storm in 1551 and the stone used to repair city walls and Ouse Bridge. Holy Trinity is the only monastic building in York that has survived as a regular place of worship.