This is the third church dedicated to St Nicholas in this place, the earliest in 1262. Fire destroyed it in 1361, rebuilt and again burned in 1469. It was first granted cathedral status in 1469. Built between 1700 and 1708, it is typical of Ljubljana churches which have had two towers since the 1600s. The church was designed and decorated by an Italian architect and painter. Four of St Nicholas’ miracles are depicted on the walls. Two new bronze church doors were made in 1996, when Pope John Paul II visited Ljubljana and the St Nicholas Cathedral.