The 13th and 14th century church replaced an earlier Norman building. The spire was rebuilt around 1792. The large church was built for a much larger medieval population, but the Black Death decimated the population in 1369. Many skeletons have been found under the floor of the church, indicating hasty burials, likely the result of the plague. The area has never recovered from that loss.