Oost-Vlieland Netherlands

Protestantse Kerk in Nederland (Reformed)

There has been a chapel dedicated to Saint Nicholas on the island of Vlieland since 1245. It became a parish church in the late Middle Ages. Taken over by Protestants after the Reformation, it was replaced by the present building, using bricks from the demolished chapel. A levy on beer and wine paid for the construction—ships stocked up on beer for long voyages here. The last restoration was in 1997. For a time the church was known as Hervormde Kerk, but is now known by the original name, Nicolaaskerk. In addition to services, it serves as a venue for concerts.