[Reformed]The church began in the 12th century as a chapel for fishermen and tradesmen living on the river Aa. In the 13th century it became a parish church, Onze Lieve Vrouwe ter Aa, the Church of Our Lady of Aa, also dedicated to St. Nicholas, protector of sailors. In 1452 it was transformed into a Gothic church. After the Reformation the name was shortened in 1594 to "Aa-kerk." Lightning destroyed the tower and vaults of the nave in 1671. The rebuilding was weak, collapsing in 1710. A new tower was built in the ruined nave. Major restoration was completed in 1987 and since then the church is used for concerts and other events.
More photos and information