The original Church of St Nicholas, Amsterdan's oldest building, was built around 1300. It was expanded and altered several times. At the Reformation in 1566, the church was looted and images destroyed. After the city became officially Protestant, saints names were dropped and St Nicholas became the Oude Kerk. The church closed in 1951, as it had become unsafe. Major restoration took place over 24 years, and the Oude Kerk reopened in 1979. It now hosts social and cultural activities, as well as weekly Protestant services.