Katedra sw. Mikolaja

Elblag / Elbing Poland

Roman Catholic

When the Reformation came to Elblag, St. Nicholas maintaianed Catholic practice until 1539. As Lutheranism was promoted, the church became Lutheran by 1573. When free practice of Catholic religion was guaranteed in 1611, St. Nicholas was reinstituted as a Roman Catholic parish. The church was damaged by fire in the late 1700s and destroyed in World War II. The church was rebuilt according to original plans following the war, and made a cathedral in 1992.