De Liefde - HH. Nicolaas & Barbara

Amsterdam Netherlands

[Roman Catholic]

Established in 1784, it was a hidden church with the name De Liefde ("The Love") during the time Catholic churches had to be unrecognizable as churches. This 1880s neo-Gothic church was designed by the noted Dutch architect P J H Cuypers. The church was closed and razed in 1990, moving into a small, modern church in the new housing complex built on the site.