Nieuwkerk

Dordrecht Netherlands

[Roman Catholic/Reformed]

The second Catholic church on this site (ca. 1420) was dedicated to St Nicholas and destroyed by fire in 1568. Only two choirs were saved and incorporated into the new church. When Dordrecht became Protestant in 1572 the church was the first in the Netherlands to be adapted to Protestant use. The tower is an 1840 addition. The church was abandoned in the 1960s and, after several secular uses, now houses two kitchen shops.

More information and pictures