The monastery was built in the late 1400s and early 1500s.; the church is from the 1630. It was Bernardine, a Cistercian monastery originally. It became the Orthodox Saint Nicholas Cathedral in 1855. When the area was under Polish jurisdiction (1921-28) the Bernardins returned. After Woirld War II it was used as a plant and a warehouse. It became again St. Nicholas Cthedral in 1993.