The church was built about 1285, when Orthodox priests fled to Cyprus. The church is on the highest point of the land and was the katholikon of the monastery. The monastery was destroyed by the Ottoman Turks at the end of the 1500s. The church was rebuilt in the 1700s, smaller than before, without a bell tower. It is always closed and under the protection of the department of antiquities.