Athani (Sacred Nira peninsula) Greece
Greek OrthodoxThe monastery was built around the 17th century by seven families and received a lot of land. It was administered by the founders' families. It was used many times as a place to exile clergy because of its inaccessible location. Extensive restoration took place in the 1800s and it is today regarded as an active monastery. The Translation of St. Nicholas Relics is celebrated every May 10th. The monastery has reopened and is undergoing repairs. Three monks are in residence. The St. Nicholas icon was written by Dimitrios Foskaris in 1699 and is the oldest icon on Lefkada. It was stolen and recovered in 1979 and is kept in Athani.