The church was built around 1625 by regular canons from Trzemeszno. After the dissolution of orders the local community renovated the collapsing church. Lacking funds to restore the murals in 1850, they were covered with reed an plaster. Forgotten for 150 years, they were re-discovered during extensive renovations in 1998-99. Notes about the murals were in the Gniezno Archives. They are the largest collection of baroque wall paintings to survive in a wooden Polish church. The Ministry of Culture restored the extensive baroque murals that date from the 16th century to 1807, from 2003-2006.