Nikolaikirche

Salzburg Austria

[Roman Catholic]

The medieval church, built in 1630, had two altars—one to St. Nicholas and one to St. Matthew. When rebuilt the dedication was just to St. Nicholas. It was the seat for the Schwarze Bruderschaft, known as the "Black Brothers" because they wore black robes. The church was closed in 1782 and sold in 1788. It was then rebuilt as a residence. The plaque commemorating the church was put on the house at Kaigasse 20 in 1935.