[Nikolauskirche]
[Mathenakirche]

Wesel Germany

[Roman Catholic / Evangelical Lutheran]

Church Website

The church was built from 1440 to around 1500. During the Reformation the church was reformed. Following 16th century iconoclasm, the high alterpiece was destroyed with fragments now in the Museo Thysse-Bornemisza in Madrid. The church became known as "Mathenakirche" as it was located in Wesel's Mathena suburb. The church was restored from 1703-1712. Air raids in 1945 completely destroyed the church. In the 1950s a post-war town hall was built on the site; since 1971 a department store. The Catholic Parish Sankt Nikolaus Wesel is made up of nine churches: Aloysius, Antonius, Franziskus, Herz-Jesu, Johannes, Mariä Himmelfahrt, Marien, Martini, and Zu den heiligen Engeln.